Friday, February 09, 2007

Improving Crochet Skills



I can crochet but have always wanted to get to that stage of being able to design things myself rather than simply follow a pattern. I also like the idea of embellishing a fabric of basic stitches with more crochet using decorative yarns. So I've been playing with various yarns and different sized hooks to get a better understanding of what happens when you change various things. Hopefully I will be able to better predict results and more quickly bring an idea into reality. I have not worried about colours for these experiments - just weight and type of yarn, and the size of the hook. I am primarily interested in cotton yarn so that I can combine the crochet with cotton fabrics to make clothing. If everything is cotton I believe it will be easier to overdye the finished garment to give it a more planned "look".

2 comments:

Alison Schwabe said...

Or, considering how different fibres take up more or less amounts of the same dye, you could overdye something with say rayone or sil trims or additions, and they would come out with different concentrations of the same hue - and that could look very planned, too ...

Liz said...

Thanks Alison - I said cotton but I really meant any fibres that would take the same dyes as cotton. I'd have to purchase the dyes so was thinking if they all take the same type of dye I wouldn't have to purchase a lot of different ones. I do have fabric paints but was worried that might feel a bit "scratchy" on a lightweight summer top.