I have started another blog to document my artwork
Thursday, December 20, 2012
Tuesday, December 04, 2012
Louise bought Fib #358 on the opening night of the Designing Women exhibition "Dimensions". At that point I hadn't embroidered a signature on it so last Tuesday while Louise, Margaret and Julie were visiting I did that. I also promised to give Louise a copy of the Artist Statement for it. This is an incredibly difficult work to photograph because the greater part of the work is white silk on white cotton stitched with a grey-white thread. Texture brings the work to life when it moves gently in an area with plenty of natural light. In real life the white bars stand out quite a bit - but this texture does not photograph well. I'm looking forward to seeing Fib #358 installed in it's new home.
Saturday, November 24, 2012
Wednesday, November 14, 2012
Dimensions is open until 29 November from 10-4 every day EXCEPT Mondays. We have a white challenge hanging in the central atrium area. The top piece is my entry into that called Fib #358 which sold at the opening. The second photo shows work by Linda Stokes (circles) and Delys Brady (the wave). The close up is of my piece called Greef Net (Grief Net).
Monday, November 12, 2012
Dimensions was opened by Dr Geoff Lummis from ECU who was a personable speaker - but embarrassed me no end by referring to my work several times. We have a red challenge as part of the display - my face was competing well with that - especially after a wine or two :-) Several works were sold at the opening - including one of mine called Fib #358. I found out later in the evening that it was bought by one of my friends so that was a huge bonus. - there seemed to be quite a bit of interest in that piece and I think I could have sold it several times over!
I think we have pulled off a very successful exhibition and would encourage anyone interested in contemporary textiles to go and see it - just don't go on a Monday!
Tuesday, October 23, 2012
At the last Designing Women meeting Dorothy set up an Indigo dye bath for us all to try. None of us had done this before. It was a cool day and Dorothy set it up on the verandah. She used the pre-reduced Indigo which requires Sodium Hydrosulphite and Soda Ash to be added to the mix. I was busy while Dorothy set up so I didn't see that part. Once everyone else had dyed their prepared silk scarves I put in 2 blouses I had rescued from the Op Shop. This silk blouse was originally the palest of pale pinks and the linen/cotton blouse was originally an extremely pale khaki colour. They both fitted me well but I didn't like the colours. When I bought them I thought I would save them for a dyeing opportunity - and this was it :-) I put them in once only for about 2 minutes. I've since found out that to get even colour you put them in, then remove them for 15-20 mins and reimmerse them, repeating as often as necessary to get darker and more even coverage. I actually wanted the blotchy look so I was quite happy with the results. The stitching was obviously a sythetic thread on the linen blouse but I think it looks quite decorative. I will replace the stitching which holds the 2 lace panels together at the front though. It did take a lot of rinsing remove excess dye. I think these are definitely "wearable". They are displayed here on "Freda" - my duct tape dress making dummy.