Thursday, August 18, 2011

Wrapping, wrapping, wrapping...



The wire framework for this took me about 8 hours and the wrapping with thread has taken ages although I haven't noted exactly how long. Because the wrapping takes so long I'm debating whether to complete this with papier mache or to continue wrapping. The original idea was to wrap with yarn/fabric and then use some sort of waterproofing polymer to make it hard and paintable. I'm using the time it takes for this initial wrap to decide. I'm making this initial wrap so that there is some texture for the papier mache (or the sucessive wraps of yarn if I go that route) to cling to so that it doesn't slip around on the armature once it's dry. I'm using fine yarn for this stage because I want the finished work to be quite thin. I think papier mache might be quicker because the strips would be much shorter and therefore easier to handle. Comments and advice from anyone who has done anything like this previously would be welcome.

1 comment:

Joan said...

Thats a lot of hard work Liz, and I look forward to seeing the WIP. Nice to see you blogging :)